Wednesday, May 6, 2009

I was on my way to give a short talk today and thought about how much I really love words. I love the way they sound in my ears; I love the way they look on a page; I love the way they feel in my mouth. Unfortunately, I am mostly limited to English words because of my deprived childhood (although I head Italian, German and Spanish, as well as Yiddish in the neighborhood, I did not learn another language until high school). I would gladly share some of my non-English favorites, but correct spelling is important to me.

My brothers and sisters and I read dictionaries for fun. Think of the wonderfulness of zymurgy (the last word in the dictionary used as a dinner table booster seat for pre-schoolers). What about abracadabra? We seriously enjoy word games and puns.

I like Dr. Seuss for his ability to use words in different ways and to invent words. But my favorite words are in Lewis Carroll's "Jabberwocky." Not only is that word tasty and round like an almond, think of brillig and slithy. I can see the Jabberwock galumphing.

Since my son has described my writing as aristocratic, I feel an obligation to use sonorous, important words; so I was proud that the talk I gave today was in ordinary English, suitable for publication in a family newspaper (albeit one written at a 12th grade level). Some of the best writing I've encountered has used simple words and simple declarative sentences to express complex thoughts and ideas. Obviously, I have not yet mastered the simple declarative sentence. Doing so probably requires more intellect and practice than I have.

Yesterday I was thinking about my favorite books, which probably led to my thinking about words. I truly enjoy Charles Dickens and Jane Austen, both of whom can express profundity quite simply. They, like Bertrand Russell, have styles so clear, so limpid that you do not notice that they have a style. That is writing.

1 comment:

  1. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjRQ6VyG1Yw

    Abby Cadabby feels the same way you do, and so do I. What I like most about English is that it has more words to choose from than any other language. We win.

    ReplyDelete